JR Motorsports driver Elliott Sadler will be in need of a new sponsor for 2017 after news broke today that OneMain Financial will not return next season.
The company underwent leadership changes recently and Sadler was informed of their decision not to continue the partnership prior to the race at Daytona earlier this month.
OneMain has been Sadler’s primary sponsor since the driver made his return to full-time XFINITY Series competition in 2011. The company has followed him to five different teams, beginning with Kevin Harvick, Inc. in 2011, Richard Childress Racing in 2012, Joe Gibbs Racing in 2013 and 2014, Roush Fenway Racing last year and JR Motorsports this season.
Sadler finished second in the standings twice sporting the OneMain colors (2011 and 2012). He has five wins with the sponsor, most recently at Talladega Superspeedway in May which put him in position to make the inaugural XFINITY Series Chase. Sadler has done well in his first season at JRM; he’s currently second in the standings, just nine off the series lead held by Daniel Suarez and has 13 top-10 finishes in 16 starts.
OneMain and Sadler will finish out this season together. No future plans for Sadler, JRM, or their sponsorship going forward were given immediately following Tuesday’s announcement.
A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.
Facetiously I said a few months ago that Morgan Shepherd’s team was about the only one he hasn’t driven for.
Maybe it was prophetic after all.
I guess this new leadership actually has to be accountable to someone and throwing your company’s name on a former Cup driver’s car in the minor leagues and getting less than a win per season doesn’t cut it any more.
But he Did win a race this year and for the most part has had good finishes. Nothibng has been said about JRM letting anyone go.