Race Weekend Central

Nolan Siegel Replacing Agustin Canapino at Road America

Agustin Canapino will be taking a leave of absence for this weekend’s NTT IndyCar Series XPEL Grand Prix at Road America, Juncos Hollinger Racing announced June 7.

Nolan Siegel will drive the No. 78 Chevy in place of Canapino, who the team says has had a “very difficult experience” in the midst of online abuse stemming from an on-track incident at Detroit with Arrow McLaren driver Theo Pourchaire.

“Online abuse is unacceptable, and we need to ensure that our drivers are prepared both mentally and physically when they get in the car,” Juncos Hollinger Racing co-owner Brad Hollinger said in a team release. “We are saddened by the events that led to this scenario.”

See also
David Malukas Joins Meyer Shank For Rest of IndyCar Season

Siegel has attempted to make two points paying IndyCar races this season for Dale Coyne Racing, failing to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 last month. He finished 20th in his series debut at Long Beach in April.

Pourchaire was the recipient of alleged social media abuse and death threats from fans of Canapino after the two made contact on lap 60 of Sunday’s Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix, which saw Pourchaire penalized three positions for avoidable contact.

Arrow McLaren and JHR released a joint statement on Monday decrying “any form of abuse or discrimination” on social media.

JHR and Canapino released statements of their own on Tuesday, with Canapino questioning the validity of McLaren and Pourchaire’s claims of death threats.

“We Argentines are passionate and euphoric, but that doesn’t mean we should be accused of something we are not,” Canapino said. “Therefore, I strongly reject being generalized and placed in a category we don’t deserve.

“I have not seen a single death threat directed at those who claim to have received them. From last year to today, no one in their right mind would do such a thing. It’s outrageous to be accused of this so lightly, and I won’t allow it anymore.”

Arrow McLaren announced Thursday it had terminated their alliance with JHR, saying the decision had come following “actions that occurred earlier this week on social media in regards to an on-track incident at the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix.”

Canapino has a best finish of 12th in non-exhibition races this year.

The XPEL Grand Prix at Road America is set to begin at 3:30 p.m. ET on June 9 with coverage on NBC and streaming on Peacock.

About the author

jkrausepro

James Krause joined Frontstretch in March 2024 as a contributor. Krause was born and raised in Illinois and graduated from Northern Illinois University. He currently works in La Crosse, Wisconsin as a local sports reporter, including local short track racing. Outside of racing, Krause loves to keep up with of football, music, anime and video games.

Sign up for the Frontstretch Newsletter

A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
gbvette62

So the Argentine owner claims his Argentine driver was stepping aside because he was upset over threats and attacks his classless Argentine fans made against another driver….attacks this same Argentine driver repeatedly liked on social media, instead of condemning. Do I have that right? It’s sounds more like the owner needed to suspend his driver, but didn’t want to come out and say so because he was afraid those same nasty Argentine fans would then come after him.

Ted

If he can’t said aside his feelings over social media, he probably shouldn’t be being the wheel of a racecar. 😬🤷🏼‍♂️

Share via
2
0
We'd like to hear from you, please comment.x
()
x