Race Weekend Central

Ryan Blaney’s Disqualification Rescinded, Finishes 6th at Las Vegas

Ryan Blaney‘s sixth-place finish in the NASCAR Cup Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway has been restored after NASCAR rescinded his disqualification Monday, Oct. 16.

Per a statement from NASCAR, the organization “discovered an issue with the damper template used for inspection” and “conducted a detailed investigation.” After investigating, NASCAR returned the eight stage points and finishing position to Blaney.

“NASCAR has taken internal steps to remedy this issue moving forward,” NASCAR said.

See also
Thinkin' Out Loud at Las Vegas: Is the Next Gen Really That Different From the Previous Package?

Blaney was originally disqualified due to an issue with the left-front shock.

He now moves up to seventh in the standings, 17 points back from the cut line.

“We are pleased with the decision by NASCAR to rescind the post-race disqualification to the No. 12 car following Sunday’s race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway,” Team Penske said in a statement. “NASCAR has shown a tremendous amount of integrity throughout the process which has led to this conclusion. We are proud of the effort and the results by the No. 12 team during the 2023 season. We look forward to continuing the pursuit of the NASCAR Cup Series championship.”

So far this year, Blaney has earned two wins, five top fives and 15 top 10s. He’s looking to make his first Championship 4 spot this season.

The current points standings after the reversal are Kyle Larson (win), William Byron (+9), Martin Truex Jr. (+2), Denny Hamlin (+2), Christopher Bell (-2), Tyler Reddick (-16), Blaney (-17) and Chris Buescher (-23).

About the author

Joy joined Frontstretch in 2019 as a NASCAR DraftKings writer, expanding to news and iRacing coverage in 2020. She's currently an assistant editor and involved with photos, social media and news editing. A California native, Joy was raised as a motorsports fan and started watching NASCAR extensively in 2001. She earned her B.A. degree in Liberal Studies at California State University Bakersfield in 2010.

Sign up for the Frontstretch Newsletter

A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

9 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Bill B

Wow. Awesome!! Of all the guys left in the hunt he is the one I’d like most to win the championship. Still has an uphill battle, but at least he isn’t buried.

janice

i still can’t believe it happened. nascar made a mistake. imagine that!

Bill B

NASCAR making a mistake is nothing new. .
NASCAR admitting they made a mistake is the news of the century. LOL

Carl D.

“NASCAR has shown a tremendous amount of integrity throughout the process…” – Team Penske.

Exit coffee through the nose.

DoninAjax

Roger doesn’t say what “process” he is referring to. What he really wanted to say was “NASCAR has shown their usual lack of integrity throughout the process.”

goblue

penske was going to pull out of nascar if it wasnt over turned

Carl D.

If Penske said that, NASCAR would have known it was an idle threat. Too many millions involved, and besides, the charters would just go to another owner. Glad the disqualification was rescinded. Blaney is a favorite driver, as is Buescher. And really, anyone not named Hamlin.

Echo

Wow, wonder how that happened lmao Wonder how quick Roger made that phone call and would love to know who was on the other end. I’m glad it happened and want Blaney, Buescher, Byron and Larson. But Nascar can’t leave Gibbs out. Easiest call for Nascar against Byron would be to fast on pit road late in a race.

DoninAjax

From FOX Sports:

“After further review of the inspection process throughout this weekend’s events at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, NASCAR has rescinded the No. 12 disqualification penalty,” NASCAR said in a statement Monday night. “Monday morning during its race weekend debrief, NASCAR discovered an issue with the damper template used for inspection.

“NASCAR then conducted a detailed investigation and has restored the No. 12’s stage and race finishing positions from Sunday. NASCAR has taken internal steps to remedy this issue moving forward.”

On SiriusXM’s NASCAR channel Monday night, NASCAR Cup Series Director Brad Moran said the damper template was not consistent throughout the weekend. He said they also took the Penske shock apart Monday and determined it was legal.

“It’s certainly a unique and unfortunate situation,” Moran said.

NA$CAR’s inspection problems start in February and end in November…Maybe!

Share via