10. Overcompensate from the fuel-saving move he made at Sonoma in June by over-revving the engine on caution laps and jumping the flag on the restart.
9. Inadvertently throw his water bottle onto the track during a late green-flag run, causing an infamous late-race debris caution that erases his lead.
8. Trying to make up ground on the Watkins Glen Inner Loop by taking the cut through.
6. Block a competitor from passing him coming to the checkers. Oh, wait, they only take away wins for that in IndyCar.
5. Start answering presumptuous congratulatory texts while driving on the last lap and wreck.
4. Lineup on the final restart in front of Juan Pablo Montoya.
3. Say something unflattering about NASCAR in victory lane – turns out they don’t like that.
2. Miss a shift while switching in-car iPod to, “Man Down Under.”
1. Announce he’s leaving a fully-funded car with no plan to join another funded, competitive team and then leave open the possibility of returning to Australia.
Listen to Doug weekly on The Allan Vigil Ford Lincoln Mercury Speedshop racing show with host Captain Herb Emory each Saturday, from 12-1 p.m., on News/Talk 750 WSB in Atlanta and on wsbradio.com. Doug also hosts podcasts on ChaseElliott.com and BillElliott.com.
About the author
The Frontstretch Staff is made up of a group of talented men and women spread out all over the United States and Canada. Residing in 15 states throughout the country, plus Ontario, and widely ranging in age, the staff showcases a wide variety of diverse opinions that will keep you coming back for more week in and week out.
A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.