Race Weekend Central

Mark Martin Tops 2nd 2009 Brickyard 400 Practice

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Carl Edwards was the first car on the track for the second practice session. The majority of the teams queried stated they were going to work on qualifying runs during this session. Greg Biffle did admit that his last run during the first session was a qualifying run and that was reflected by him posting the fastest time of the session. Local weather forecasters are predicting a 40% chance of scattered showers tomorrow during the time qualifying is scheduled. The teams are still taking the time to work on their qualifying setup in anticipation of the 60% chance of no rain.

See also
Greg Biffle Tops 1st 2009 Brickyard 400 Practice

After the first 15 minutes of the second session, Juan Pablo Montoya backed up his strong time from the first session by leading the pack with the only lap over 180 mph. Kasey Kahne was second fastest, followed by Dale Earnhardt Jr., Clint Bowyer and Sam Hornish Jr., who has drawn the first qualifying position for tomorrow.

During the second quarter of the session, Kevin Harvick jumped up to third on the sheet and Reed Sorenson moved up to fourth, slipping Earnhardt down to fifth. Montoya was still the fastest with a lap of 180.151 mph, the only lap he’d turned in the session so far.

The third quarter of the session saw a second car go over 180 mph and move to the top of the charts when Mark Martin turned a lap of 180.643 mph. Montoya came out and ran a second lap at speed that was also over 180 mph, but it wasn’t as fast as his first lap. Reed Sorenson’s team was on a strong run but got caught up with a car going into turn 3 and had to abort the run.

In the final 15 minutes of the session, the majority of the cars in the garage were on the track, but none were able to unseat Martin and Montoya from the top of the charts. Kahne did break into the 180-mph range, but his 180.245-mph lap left him in third place. Harvick remained fourth and Sorenson wound up fifth. The second half of the top 10 ended up being Earnhardt Jr., Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman, Bowyer and Bill Elliott.

During the second session, Terry Labonte did turn two laps in the No. 08. Labonte is the second past champion that is in the go or go home grouping, so he is hoping that Elliott makes the field because he was 45th out of 46 cars on the speed chart.


About the author

What is it that Mike Neff doesn’t do? The writer, radio contributor and racetrack announcer coordinates the site’s local short track coverage, hitting up Saturday Night Specials across the country while tracking the sport’s future racing stars. The writer for our signature Cup post-race column, Thinkin’ Out Loud (Mondays) also sits down with Cup crew chiefs to talk shop every Friday with Tech Talk. Mike announces several shows each year for the Good Guys Rod and Custom Association. He also pops up everywhere from PRN Pit Reporters and the Press Box with Alan Smothers to SIRIUS XM Radio. He has announced at tracks all over the Southeast, starting at Millbridge Speedway. He's also announced at East Lincoln Speedway, Concord Speedway, Tri-County Speedway, Caraway Speedway, and Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Sign up for the Frontstretch Newsletter

A daily email update (Monday through Friday) providing racing news, commentary, features, and information from Frontstretch.com
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Share via